How can I search for materials in the Special Collections held at the IOE?
You can search for items held in our Special Collections in two ways:
1. Searching by Collection, e.g. Baines, Brooke, Hayward etc.; or
2. Searching by Subject and then refining this by Library (IOE) and by Date. For instructions on how to search by subject, see: http://libanswers.ioe.ac.uk/a.php?qid=1340947
For instructions on Searching by Collection, follow the instructions outlined below:
1. First, check the IOE LibGuide for the name of the collection here: http://libguides.ioe.ac.uk/specialcollections
2. Go to Explore, the Library Catalogue, at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/explore
3. Select the Advanced Search option:
4. Select 'Shelfmark' from the drop-down menu, type in the name of the collection, e.g. Brooke and click on Search!
5. You will then get a list of results - the Location tab will give you the number in the collection:
You can request the item from the Help Point in the Library or by writing to us via email at email@example.com
Once we receive your request, we will fetch it for you (there are two fetches a day) and book a space in the Reading Room. Please note that some items are kept off-site and may take up to a week to retrieve. You are therefore advised to request materials at least a week in advance.
NB: Not all of our Special Collections are catalogued. If you are not able to find a title, please log your query or contact us via email.