Where can I find a book about literacy in the Library?
UCL Explore should be your first stop for finding resources in the library. Because the Newsam Library is specialised in education, you will find books about literacy in different collections. To help you refine your search, you can add and combine keywords or limit your searches by collection.
For example, a simple search for 'literacy' will bring up items from all collections which could be ...
- a book about teaching literacy in Nigeria in the Comparative collection on level 3,
- a textbook for adult literacy in the Basic Skills collection on level 4,
- a Masters Dissertation about ESOL in the Dissertation collection on level 5 or
- research about literacy teaching in the Main collection on level 5.
When searching the catalogue, you can choose the 'Quick search', 'Other Search Options' or 'Full Search' which allows you to narrow down your search by collection, material type or date. Another way to limit your search for literacy is to combine terms with 'and'. For example, searching for 'literacy and primary' or 'literacy and Nigeria' will give you more specific search results as will breaking down 'literacy' into 'reading' or 'writing'.
There may be times when you will want to browse certain areas of collections, but for the most efficient searches...
- start at UCL Explore,
- combine your keywords,
- limit to collections and
- be sure to write down the classmark, location level and availability.